Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fly Stitch - Take It Further


I'm very pleased with how this turned out.  This was my personal 'Take It Further' challenge following on from Sharon's TAST 2012 Week 1 - Fly Stitch:




I thought it needed a little more 'oomph' so after revisiting my inspiration photos I added some tiny little pine needles along the whole branch.  Not sure which one looks best:


 The pine needles and pine cones are Fly Stitch.  The branch is irregular Portuguese Stem Stitch, for texture.

I was lucky to get the 'hoop burn' marks out of this velveteen!  Only after removing the hoop did I realize I probably shouldn't put the bare hoop against velveteen or velvet since the nap gets crushed and it's sometimes permanent.  A wet washcloth rubbed on the surface fixed the problem this time, however in future I will try this tutorial.

2 comments:

Libby said...

the one with the added pine needles looks so realistic! beautiful stitching.

Marie said...

Thank you so much for your encouragement Libby! I really appreciate your lovely comments. Glad to know the extra pine needles look realistic, that's what I hoped for :)