Friday, February 24, 2012

TAST 2012 - Chain Stitch


I used another sketch for this week's TAST exercise.  The hair is Chain Stitch.  Her lips look weird, I'll restitch them tomorrow:


I don't draw well freehand, so I use a trick that most painters and illustrators are familiar with - use a model or photo as a drawing guide.  Life models, still life set ups, magazine photos, etc. all help to get the proportions right.  

I have dozens of glue books in which I keep magazine photos that I like.  Clothes, hairstyles, home decor, etc. all get pasted in.  I started keeping these glue books over 25 years ago and now they're really coming in handy for embroidery!  :) 

Here's the original magazine clipping:



And here's the tracing I created from it - I just traced the major outlines and added extra flounces to the hair:


No doubt there are many of you that, like me, have no formal art training and can't draw freehand.  I encourage you to give this method a try.  It's easy and produces great results.

16 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for the tips. I love your use of the chain stitch for hair!

Dianne said...

Hi Marie, I like the idea you used here of just tracing the outline. It would be a great help to me as I have no drawing training at all. Thank you. Your stitching has turned out well. Regards Dianne.

Queenie Patch said...

Thanks for sharing the tips.
Well done!

Deepa said...

Good one..

Deepa said...

on second thoughts,It would be nice to see a little bit of the right eye too- may be just a bit like in the actual pic.

Kathleen said...

WOW!!!! KAthy

Raphaela said...

A wonderful stitched piece. And thank you so much for sharing your glue book idea. I belong to those who need a little help with drawing.

Susan said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing it. The resulting embroidery is very lifelike and looks great!

Sam&Gail said...

One of the things I am most enjoying about TAST is how it includes embroiderers with so many additional talents. This mix of your artistic self with your embroidery is just great! (and sometimes having no "official" training allows you to develop a distinctive style -- there are no art police, just go for it!)
Gail

Annet said...

Thanks for sharing this. Your stitching is prettty!

Anni - Fabric and Mixed Media Art said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my book Marie, love how you used the chain stitch, great idea with these glue books.
Anni

Cyndi L said...

That is fantastic! I love how you translated your sketch into such a whimsical stitched piece!

viji said...

Very pretty. Nice imagination.
viji

jackie said...

It is good to see you using traditional stitches. I used chain stitch in my last embellished piece and knocked it back in some places, and on one line let the stitch show more.

apronstringsandothertiesthatbind said...

I love seeing how you created the face outline! I must try it. You inspire!

Judy

Margo Brooks said...

Nice to see up close how you did this!