Thursday, February 2, 2012

TAST 2012 - Cretan Stitch


Cretan stitch - blech.  So boring.  Three pages of doodles in my sketchbook produced nothing original.  The only variation I truly like is when worked as leaves but that's been done and done and done.

So I pulled out the excellent Stitch Magic by Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn.  One exercise is to randomly pick descriptions from a list and work the stitch in that manner - like it or not.  My exercise was:  cretan - vertical - needle weave - irregular.  Double blech!

Here is the ugliest piece of embroidery I've ever stitched:


The original exercise in the book is meant to be worked over and over again - heavily - to almost obscure the base fabric.  Frankly, I was already bored with this tiny sample.  I probably should do the exercise properly at some point, however I disagree with the authors that working with a combination one dislikes will produce the most unexpectedly wonderful results.  If I dislike a stitch, a colour, a thread, etc, then I've already checked out. 

On my Fly Stitch post I specifically told myself to always remember I dislike stitching without a plan.  So much for that.  WHY do I keep trying crap that I already know I hate?

And WHY do random / haphazard textile experiments look wondrous and avant-garde and often beautiful when others do it, yet when I look at my own experiments all I can see is a messy sneeze?  

3 comments:

Julie said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! Your little experiment makes me think of Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree. I bet if you added a little tinsel and light it could warm the heart! (smile)

Marie said...

Aww, thank you very much Julie! You made me giggle!! :)

Julie said...

Good! Now pick up that needle and get back to work!