Thursday, February 9, 2012

TAST 2012 Cretan Stitch

TAST 2012 - Week #4 - Cretan Stitch

My original cretan stitch attempt was pathetic so I gave it another try.  I flipped through some old sketchbooks and found the perfect subject for cretan stitch - brittle starfish!  



The fabric had to give the impression of watery natural habitat, yet still provide some camouflage.  

This piece of fabric is very special to me.  Back in 2001 I was fortunate to take several quilting workshops with Caryl Bryer Fallert.  The workshops were fabulous and the icing on the cake was that she had some of her hand dyed fabrics available for purchase!  I snapped up a bunch of course! 

The starfish body  is my first attempt at satin stitch.  

This isn't finished yet.  I want to quilt it but I have an idea for making it three dimensional.

2 comments:

Suztats said...

I like the way this looks! Very neat.

Kathy said...

This is striking to look at. Good job!