Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book Review - The Art of Embroidery by Françoise Tellier-Loumagne

The most recent addition to my book collection is The Art of Embroidery by Françoise Tellier-Loumagne.  

This 304-page book has over 500 colour photographs.  It's not a technique book, but rather a visual feast.  Flowers, rocks, leaves, railway tracks, cauliflower and farm fences are just some of the items beautifully photographed to show all the glorious texture that exists out there.  Françoise then interprets those photos into textile pieces using various techniques (embroidery, quilting, adding found objects, etc.).  The way she uses embroidery is quite stunning.

There's very little text.  It's really about showing us that textures exist everywhere, and how to let our imaginations run wild when recreating that texture using cloth and stitch. 

Below is a selection of  some of my favourite page layouts.
 









5 comments:

Marta Brysha said...

I bought this book when it first came out (about 5 years ago, I think) and it is indeed lush. My favourite is the embroidered railway tracks. All the photography is gorgeous and the thread interpretations really get the mind working. You'll return to this book again and again for inspiration.

Emmy said...

yes I love this book

underatopazsky said...

I have this too and it's gorgeous, so spare and so stylishly French, I always think!!

Mai-Britt Axelsen © said...

Love this book too - eye candy!

Judy Martin said...

I own this book, and like to refer to it when I am seeking inspiration.