Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TAST 2012 Catch-Up Week


I missed a few TAST stitches so I combined several into one piece:


Stiches used:  Detached Chain Stitch, Whipped Wheel, Barred and Alternating Barred Chain,  French Knots and Chain stitch.  The quilting will be Running Stitch.

I will finish this quilted fan because it's almost done anyway, but I'm not as pleased with it as I anticipated. 

What I learned from this project:
  1. A full size and full colour cartoon is worth the time.  Quick sketches do not show potential design problems.  This piece needs more negative space, it's too crowded.  I didn't realize how much negative space would be taken up by the small flowers because I didn't include them on my sketch - I only sketched in the branches.
  2. I have a bad habit of leaving only a small amount of extra fabric around a design area.  Had I left about 4 inches of extra fabric rather than only 1 inch, the negative space issue wouldn't have been as big a problem.
  3. Whipped Wheels use up tons of thread and take A LOT more time than I expected.  But they do look amazing, once you get the hang of wrapping them evenly.  Next time I'll work the wheel on a slip before stitching it to the project; it will lay flatter and neater that way.
  4. I need a larger stock of perle cotton colours, in various weights.  I used stranded cotton for the tree branches but it doesn't give the look I prefer.  Stranded cotton has none of the elegance of perle cotton.
I like this design enough that I'll make a larger version.  I'm treating this small piece as my mock-up or cartoon for the larger one.  This was an excellent exercise.

5 comments:

Ranjana's craft blog said...

Very nice and perfect

Hopscotch said...

An elegant design, very impressive!
I love using perle thread, and it is ideal for more dimensional embroidery. I, too, appreciate the lessons I am learning along the way!

Wishes & Stitches
Barbara

underatopazsky said...

I don't find it overly busy/dense - in fact I really like the movement of the branches across the fabric and the emerging leaves. :o)

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I think this is a wonderful piece. Maybe, if you really don't like it, you could add some "air space" with a coordinating fabric along the top edge of the fan?

Anni - Fabric and Mixed Media Art said...

Marie thanks for visit and sweet comment on my blog, your embroidery is so beautifully made, I will come back to see more of your lovely embroideries.
Anni