I missed a few TAST stitches so I combined several into one piece:
Stiches used: Detached Chain Stitch, Whipped Wheel, Barred and Alternating Barred Chain, French Knots and Chain stitch. The quilting will be Running Stitch.
I will finish this quilted fan because it's almost done anyway, but I'm not as pleased with it as I anticipated.
What I learned from this project:
- A full size and full colour cartoon is worth the time. Quick sketches do not show potential design problems. This piece needs more negative space, it's too crowded. I didn't realize how much negative space would be taken up by the small flowers because I didn't include them on my sketch - I only sketched in the branches.
- I have a bad habit of leaving only a small amount of extra fabric around a design area. Had I left about 4 inches of extra fabric rather than only 1 inch, the negative space issue wouldn't have been as big a problem.
- Whipped Wheels use up tons of thread and take A LOT more time than I expected. But they do look amazing, once you get the hang of wrapping them evenly. Next time I'll work the wheel on a slip before stitching it to the project; it will lay flatter and neater that way.
- I need a larger stock of perle cotton colours, in various weights. I used stranded cotton for the tree branches but it doesn't give the look I prefer. Stranded cotton has none of the elegance of perle cotton.