Friday, June 8, 2012

Using Interfacing for String Piecing

I've been doing some string piecing using my favourite colours - turquoise and purple!  This is a stash buster so I'm only using what I've got.  Here are some blocks so far:


My favourite foundation is sew-in interfacing (non-woven, non-fusible) - the stuff used in dressmaking.  Interfacing, how do I love thee, let me count the ways:
  • It doesn't shift, distort, shrink or otherwise behave badly (unlike muslin!)  
  • It's dirt cheap
  • It can remain in the quilt - no spending hours and hours ripping out paper and distorting the seam stitches in the process
  • It withstands tons of handling, including lots of pressing
Interfacing is also my preferred foundation for crazy quilt blocks and paper piecing.  Haven't tried running it through the printer but transferring a pattern using a light table is a breeze. 

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I also like the fusible interfacing for the stamp collection 12 inch blocks I'm making. The small pieces stay where they are put and are so
easy to sew

Claudia said...

Thanks for sharing this tip, I will try it. I think, it also can be washed, can't it?

Marie Costa said...

Claudia - yes, it can be washed with no problem :)

Quilter Beth said...

This is such a good idea. What is your preferred interfacing brand and weight?