Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Harlequin Crazy Quilt

I've had zero stitching mojo for a very long time.  This year's Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP2015), plus this antique crazy quilt, were just the inspirations I needed.  I love both the geometric layout and how beautifully the embroidery 'pops' on the black patches.  

I've started creating foundations, and Gerry Krueger's excellent tutorials - here and here - reminded me to leave a generous fabric allowance past the finished size.  I've also employed Allie Aller's tip to use knit fusible interfacing on the backs of all pieced foundations as well as the backs of 'difficult' fabrics for stability.  It makes a BIG difference.

These will finish at 6.5" x 11". 

I found this machine embroidered black cotton fabric on sale for 5 bucks per metre!  (I bought 5 metres)












 


The middle patch looks wobbly because of the lighting but it does lie fairly flat.



















I'd really, really like to make this bed sized.  I may get bored before it reaches that size, but I'm going to try hard to reach that goal.  I plan to make this my 'slow cloth' project.